Friday 12th February 2021
Today is the start of Chinese New Year. It is the year of the Ox. I was born the year of the snake. What animal is the year that you were born?
Watch these video clips to find out more about how it is celebrated:
- CBeebies: Preparing for Chinese New Year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ssHXZ9_qU
- CBeebies: Celebrating Chinese New Year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cRMRp9-Z08
- CBeebies: Chinese New Year Zodiac Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVClAj8q_lY
Today, choose 3 or more activities from the below ideas…
-You were born in the year of the __________ Draw a picture of this animal and write its name (see template below).
-One of the colours often seen during Chinese New Year is red. Make a list of the words that rhyme with the word red e.g. bed.
-Try to write your name in Chinese (see symbols in resources below).
-Practice writing Chinese number symbols for 0-10 in flour, salt, sand or with a paintbrush (see cards in resources below).
-During Chinese New Year celebrations, children are sometimes given envelopes with money inside. With an adult, look at some coins and see if you can see any numbers on them. What numbers can you see? What shapes are the coins? What colours are they?
-Play a game where you have a plate of mini marshmallows or another small item and use chopsticks/tweezers. How many marshmallows can you get in your dish using the chopsticks or tweezers in a minute? Play with an adult or sibling, who has the most?
-Play Dragon sequencing number game: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/ordering-and-sequencing/chinese-dragon-ordering (select numbers 1-10 or 1-20 if your child is confident with 1-10)
Expressive Arts and Design
- Fireworks are often seen during Chinese New Year. Paint or draw a firework picture using crayons, pens, paint or glitter and glue.
- Design and make your own Chinese paper lantern (see instructions below).
- Make a dragon puppet using coloured paper and lollypop sticks/pencils (see instructions below).
- Watch one/more of Ferne and Rory’s Vet Tales: